MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER
- Grant writer and recipient of $250,000 CTE grant.
- Program students have been nominated for and won National Youth Arts Awards (Junior Division) and DTASC Awards.
- Built Performing Arts Department into a nationally renowned, respected and award-winning program.
- Developed networking system with other local schools to share props, information and support.
- Hosted world-famous theater celebrities, producers and artists who heard about the program and came to speak with students.
Performing Arts Department Chair, Millikan Middle School, Sherman Oaks, CA
October 2013 to Present
- Responsible for producing two musicals per year and several student showcases, including directing, set design, working with musical director and choreographer, fundraising, managing lighting and sound, publicity and merchandising.
- Coordinate parent and professional involvement in productions.
- Teach basic through advanced acting classes to Performing Arts Academy and Magnet students, the general student population, and Special Education students.
- Teach Stage Technology course, including hands-on experience in theater lighting, sound and operations.
- Facilitate and supervise all Stage Crew activities for campus events.
Student Teacher, Westchester Enriched Science Magnets, L.A., CA
January - June 2013
- Design curricula and teach two 10th grade English classes, one of which is Honors level.
- Incorporated drama background into Shakespearean lesson, having students “translate” Shakespeare into modern day English and present the scenes to the class.
- Devised lessons to accommodate students with IEP’s and special needs.
Educator, Culver City Middle School, Culver City, CA
September 2012 - January 2013
- Taught an after-school Acting I class, concentrating on scene and character development, writing, improv and scene composition.
- Developed curricula and lesson plans to encourage teamwork, self-confidence, presentation skills and creativity.
Student Teacher, Chelsea High School, Chelsea, MA
January - May 2011
- Designed curricula and taught two Drama I Workshop acting classes comprised of students in all grade levels and students with IEPs.
- Co-taught a Drama II acting class, which included several students with special needs.
Director, Westwood Charter Mini Players, L.A., CA
September 2011 - March 2013
- Performed as director of an after-school theater program at Westwood Charter Elementary School (LAUSD).
- Duties included working with children on singing, dancing, acting, choreography, improv, set and prop design and script writing – all leading to a musical production at the end of the session.
Director, Children’s Concert, Loyola Marymount University, L.A., CA
August - October 2012
- Leading to a successful and well-reviewed collaborative performance with the LMU orchestra, responsibilities included auditioning and casting children to narrate and pantomime roles for a classical orchestral piece.
- Created the narrative script for the storytellers and worked with students to effectively portray their characters without using words.
Behavioral and Therapeutic Aide, Private Family, Boston, MA
February 2010 - June 2011
- Assisted physically and developmentally disabled teen with daily routines, socialization, exercise and therapies.
- Controlled physical and emotional outbursts and regulated behavior.
Peer Facilitator, Choices Alcohol and Drug Education Program, Boston, MA
September 2007 - June 2009
- Taught two-hour classes twice a week to college students.
- Assisted students in understanding the risks associated with alcohol consumption and the impact alcohol and drugs can have on their college and life experiences.
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
Career Technical Education Credential
Arts, Media and Entertainment with EL Authorization
Master of Arts, Secondary Education
Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA
Single Subject Teaching Credential in English
Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA
Bachelor of Arts, Theater Education
Emerson College, Boston, MA
LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE AND AWARDS
Kappa Delta Pi (International Education Honor Society) Member
Loyola Marymount University 2013
Theatre Education Major Representative
Emerson College (2008-2009) liaison between faculty and students
Dean’s Honor List
Emerson College (2010, 2011)
Community Service Award
Milken Community High School (2003-2007) Awarded for participation in numerous community service programs including Hurricane Katrina Relief (in Mississippi and Louisiana), Koreh LA (teaching underprivileged children how to read), and SibShop (working with siblings of children with special needs)
Award Winning Playwright in Los Angeles High School Competition